Chief Master Sergeant Spears is currently an Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps instructor at Perry High School. He became an instructor in July of 2014 and taught his first two years at Howard High School in Macon, GA. During his years as an instructor, he has been an Instructor of the Year three times. The units he has been assigned received the highest inspection rating of Exceeds Standards during the 4 inspections he has been a part of.
During the last 2 years of his 28 years of service, Chief Master Sergeant Robert B. Spears Jr. was Chief of Training and the Program Manager for the Development and Training Flight at Headquarters, Air Force Reserve Command Recruiting Service, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He oversees all aspects of recruiter training to ensure every recruiter has the necessary tools for continued success. He is responsible for training and leading recruiters to effectively meet Air Force Reserve Command Selected Reserve end-strength. He manages daily recruiting and training activities of senior non-commissioned officers who support the training vision and mission.
Chief Spears is a native of Augusta, Ga., and he entered the Air Force in 1986. Prior to joining Reserve Recruiting, his assignments included tours at Griffiss AFB in New York, Robins Air Force Base in Georgia and Niagara Falls Air Reserve Base, also in New York. Chief Spears' recruiting experience has been diverse. He has served as a Line Recruiter, In-Service Recruiter, Officer Accessions Recruiter and as a Senior Recruiter, all of which lead him to his current position as Chief of Training.
Sergeant Spears is married to Jennifer Marie Spears of Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, and has six children - Deanna,Christy, Micah, Makayla, Leah and Abbie.
1996 - NCO Academy, Robins AFB, Ga.
2004 - SNCO Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 - Chief’s Leadership School, Maxwell AFB
2009 - Associate of Applied Science, Human Recourses, Community College of the Air Force
2009 - Associate of Applied Science, Electronic Systems Technology, CCAF
2012 - Bachelors of Science, Technical Management, DeVry University (Summa Cum Laude)
1. September 1986 - January 1990, Munitions Maintenance, Griffiss AFB, N.Y.
2. July 1990 - September 1991, Air Transportation Specialist, Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, N.Y.
3. September 1991 - October 1992, Air Transportation Specialist, Robins AFB Ga.
4. October 1992 - January 1994, Air Transportation Specialist, Niagara Falls ARS, N.Y.
5. January 1994 - June 1996, Line Recruiter McGuire AFB, N.J.
6. June 1996 - April 1997, In-Service Recruiter, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho.
7. April 1997 - October 1997, In-Service Recruiter, Malmstrom AFB Mont.
8. October 1997 - November 2000, Air Transportation Specialist, Niagara Falls ARS
9. November 2000 - June 2003, Line Recruiter, Mobile AL.
10. June 2003 - August 2005, Officer Accessions Recruiter, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, GA.
11. August 2005 - August 2008, Senior Recruiter, Maxwell AFB, AL.
12. August 2008 - August 2012, Senior Recruiter, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
13. August 2012 – 30 September 2014, Chief of Training, HQ AFRC/Recruiting Service, Prorgram Manager Development and Training Flight, Robins AFB, GA
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service medal
Air Force Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
2002-03 - Superior Achievement Award
2004 - Top Officer Recruiter
2004-05 - Century Club Award
2007-08 - Top Operating Location
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant, Oct 1, 2012
Senior Master Sergeant, Sept 1, 2005
Master Sergeant, July 16, 2000
Technical Sergeant, July 1, 1998
Staff Sergeant, January 1, 1993